All  

Welcome to the Ancient-Origins.net Forums. In order to avoid spam messages, we require all users of the forum to register first.

If you are not registered please click on the Register link from the top menu. If you are registered LOGIN here.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
What Do You Think About Atlantis?

What do you believe about Atlantis? Do you think the story is true of False? Was the story made up by Plato to make a point about morality? Is the story partially true? Where is Atlantis located and what makes you think so? Have you actually read Plato’s version of his story or you only read what others wrote about what he wrote? Do you think Atlantis will ever be found? What have you read lately and why should I read it? Do you think the story of Atlantis has been encoded because the language has changed over time? What size was Atlantis According to Plato?

:-))) Oh that is a

:-))) Oh that is a coincidence…

I just posted a prediction on Atlantis in the Babel Text. Then seen your message.

The prediction is based on translating the Babel Text, and the most probable location being The Gulf of Tonkin.

The Babel Text apparently gives the latitude and longitude, and surprisingly The Gulf of Tonkin does match Plato’s desriptions. 

I originally made this prediction in The Map That Talked.

Dr. Derek Cunningham
Author of:
The Map that Talked -
The Babel Texts - The book that decodes the early geometric text of the Stone Age
Scotland and Shakespeare's Third Prophecy - Recovering Scotland's Past forgotten past

Yes. I think the legend is

Yes. I think the legend is based on the towns of Akroitiri/ knossos on the Greek Volcanic island of Thera. The ancient Minoan civilization thrived around it, volcano exploded, no more Knossos or Akroitiri.

The Minion civilization soon began to collapse as what's believed to possibly be its main trade centre of Thera was destroyed (look up about the remains of Akroitiri, they dug it up - it's just like Pompeii and amazingly preserved).

People don't exactly forget a volcanic eruption and break down of civilization as a result that came that easily. A couple of hundred years later Plato writes about an island city that's completely destroyed because of its corrupt ways called Atlantis and thus it becomes a legend.

https://ggstreetview.com

Atlantis

Reread Plato!  He says specifically that Atlantis was outside the Pillars of Hercules, which means that Knossus or any other location in the Mediterranean is out of the question.

Atlantis whereabouts

I agree it is oustside the Straits of Gibraltar and very likely in the volcanic Azores where recently aerial surveys show a sunken island. 

The Eastern and Western Pillars...

Actually….Plato did not say that it was in the Mediterranean.

...and it seems the interpretation that the Pillars of Hercules must be in the Mediterranean region was a mistranslation. 

This is a short extract from my Book “The Map That Talked”

“George Lyman Kittredge in 1909 undertook perhaps the most detailed study of all the various claims regarding the location of the various “Pillars”, and in his exhaustive study, the confusion appears to come from the works of two authors; the poet Guido del Colonne, the author of the 13th century novel surrounding the History of the Trojan wars, and Geoffrey Chaucer (1343- 1400) the author of The Monk’s Tale. 

Kittredge noted that there was a major problem in the combined works of Guido and Chaucer. First Guido did not speak of “Bothe the worldes endes”, but only the western end. Kitteridge also believes that Guido totally mis-understood a passage in the Roman de Troie, and that Benoit of Sainte More was referring to the Pillars of the East and not the Pillars of South Spain/North Africa [the western pillars].

As Chaucer is often referred to as the father of English literature, Chaucer’s statement that The Pillars were placed in the west had considerable weight. 

However, there are other papers that suggest the Herculean Pillars were located in the East. 

These reports carry, in my view, more weight than Chaucer’s questionable interpretation, because they come from Alexander the Great’s campaign which travelled to Asia. Alexander the Great was the student of Aristotle, who in turn was the student of Plato, and with Alexander the Great, being of the school of Plato, he would appear to be the most reliable candidate to know exactly where Plato placed The Pillars.  “

Overall the evidence appears to point to The Gulf of Tonkin. It has the correct dimensions, and it has a central volcanic island that is the right size

Hope this helps….

Dr. Derek Cunningham
Author of:
The Map that Talked -
The Babel Texts - The book that decodes the early geometric text of the Stone Age
Scotland and Shakespeare's Third Prophecy - Recovering Scotland's Past forgotten past

Atlantis

I think it is real, but Atlantis is NOT Santorini or Crete.  Plato says that Atlantis was OUTSIDE the pillars of Hercules.  This means that Santorini and Crete are out of the running to be Atlantis.  I think that Atlantis is more likely to be found possibly in the Carribean, which sustained serious damage during the Dryas event. 

Atlantis whereabouts

It was in the volcanic Azores not far from the Pillars of Hercules where an exploded island was recently found underwater.

I'd written a paper in

I'd written a paper in college back in 1970 about the archaeologists who researched Santorini and Crete, including their speculation that  the Minoan civilization may well have been the origin of the story Plato related about an impressive ancient civilization destroyed by a huge cataclysm. I'll try to share what I recall, but encourage a thorough research of the Minoan civilizaion..
I do recall that the Greek archaeologist whose book I had read said that since antiquity, a pair of mountains on the Greek mainland's shore was also called the Pillar of Hercules by Greek residents, and he suggested that was the origin of the reference to them, in Plato's tale, thereby locating Atlantis in the Aegean. Whatever. He also had the insight that the numbers mentioned in the story had serious flaws and contradictions that lead to false conclusions.
Plato says he is faithfully re-telling a story that was passed down to him, through the years  as retold by the Egyptian priest Solon. Plato first says Atlantis an island with an advanced civilization that was destroyed 9,000 years before. And he describes the island's size as being 3,000 miles. To the teachers who passed on this oral tradition through the years, something was obviously amiss, in that there are no islands that massive, which might be why the description as being "Larger than Libya" came from.  Similarly, the idea of Atlantis being a tale that's been passed down orally for as long as 9, 000 years strains credulity.
However, the Greek Archaeologist realized, due to the mistaken translation from Egyptian to Greek, the numbers were off by a factor of 10,  which is how the incredible, 3,000 mile continent-size of the island of Atlantis described by Plato, was really an island the size of Crete, 300 miles.  Similarly, the antiquity for Atlantis is more like 900 years than the 9000 years mention by Plato.

The so-called golden-age of Greek history was built on the shoulders of the Minoan Civilization which preceded them, not only philosophically, but technologically as well, including the fact their palaces were equipped with running toilets. The Minoan civilization was  virtually destroyed by the largest cataclysm in human history, the Santorini eruption circa 1600 BC...which, by measurements of it's caldera, was at least 5 times bigger than the Krakatoa eruption. The Mycenean Greeks, from the mainland soon invaded and took over what remained. 

Fitting Plato's description of Atlantis, the Minoan predominant colors were black and red, they venerated bulls, were predominantly peaceful and were very egalitarian, their women had more rights than European 19th century women.  

Scott Wolter and others have interesting reasons to conjecture that the Minoans, as well the the Phoenicians, used Michigan as a source for large quantities of copper is in the Bronze age that were excavated from there in antiquity.
Certainly there are traces of long-hidden ancient civilizations around the world, but, to a 5th century BC philosopher in Athens, he was passing along an oral account of a huge cataclysm that occurred some 15-20 generations before him. . The dramatic and terrifying end to the first flourishing civilization in Europe was both inspiring and haunting.