Welcome to the Ancient-Origins.net Forums. In order to avoid spam messages, we require all users of the forum to register first.

If you are not registered please click on the Register link from the top menu. If you are registered LOGIN here.

9 posts / 0 new
Last post
Evidence of Origin of Light Skin

Recently I have read claims [from several other sources] that DNA evidence seems to indicate that light skin first appeared in Europeans as recently as 7,000 or 8,000 years ago. Has similar research been done to try to determine when light skin first appeared in far-eastern Asian populations represented by contemporary Japanese, Koreans, and Chinese?

I ask because I’m curious if those researchers are implying 1) that the obvious physical differentiation between Europeans and East-Asians was more recent than 7,000 or 8,000 years ago or 2) that light skin in these widely-separated populations is a result of parallel evolution.

Not sure I know the answer to

Not sure I know the answer to your questions, but the theory that as people migrate out of Africa, their skin colour became lighter due to adaptation to the environment is illogical. Assuming those folks coming from Africa had no prior contact with another race of beings, black Africans mating with black Africans will not produce an offspring of a different colour no matter what type of environment they faced.

I've always understood that

I've always understood that skin lightened as an evolutionary adaptation to a cloudy climate. If life originated in africa, anyone migrating out would have had dark skin. Dark skin helps in equatorial regions where there is a lot of direct sunlight. The dark skin absorbs less UV light and thus is more resilient in these environments. If early man migrated north out of africa and into cloudy, rainy regions like northern europe, there would be no need for dark skin, in fact there would be a need for light skin. Dark skin does not allow in enough sunlight to absorb adequate amounts of vitamin D in cloudy, low sunlight regions. Thus, it would be beneficial to ones health and continued existence to have lighter skin. Also, since sunlight is less of an issue, dark skin would not be needed for protection from the sun. And consider other evolutionary traits like thicker body hair for warmth in a colder climate and a narrower and longer nose which helps to warm air coming into the body to help regulate core body temperature in the cold.

These are all adaptations that would take place over several millenia. The early brown/black skinned humans migrating out of africa into this new climate would have evolved very slowly. But those with more body hair, narrower noses and lighter skin would have had a higher survival rate and would have been healthier and thus lived longer to breed more. As people with these traits bred for generations and generations, the traits that helped them survive/maintain health would have been passed on to their children and become stronger and more prevalent. The skin would lighten as the body produced less and less melanin which in turn would allow new colors of hair and eyes to come about as well. The more melanin one has in their body, the more brown/black they are. And this relates to skin, hair, eyes, everything. So colors which once were overpowered by brown, would be revealed as melanin production lessened.

light skin, etc.

Also consider the origin of blood types as possibly abetting this process. Each has a place and time of origin.

I agree with your comments

I agree with your comments

Light Skin

The Rh Negative evidence has now built to the point where even "conventional science" is considering genetic manipulation of a small group of humans around 5-8000 years ago.

History is nowhere near as well known as we think it is.

Mary the Moon Godess

Who knows how light skin came about, but I don’t think Vikings just popped up out of nowhere. I am new to this site and saw a story about the Mary the Moon Goddess and the Story of the 7 dwarves. I should have saved it but was too busy signing up. I think this site is awesome. Anyone know what it falls under. Gratitude.

as im researching fact is all

as im researching fact is all life started in africa definitively ...if u go by what it says in the bible cain slew abel cain was cast out made to wander out he more than likely went as far away as possible went east  out of the garden of eden finally in the caucasus which the word or race of  caucasion derived from .. the region was very cold sun wasnt a big factor...after many generations the started migrating through the upper regions and some came down to the middle east with the babylonians\ sumerians which mixed the races…. the god struck the tower of bable scattered ppl in all directions evolution took over

Light skin/blood types

Recently there has been a revisiting of the Rh Negative controversy, as it now appears there is too much evidence to ignore that the Rh Negative factor,which is seen in Asian populations about 3%, African populations about 1%, but in Europeans about 35%s. The Basques, in particular, have an extremely high incidence of Rh Negative. The thinking now is that a small group of Caucasoid people may have been subject to genetic manipulation by aliens around 8,000 years ago. There are 612 species of primate on earth, and not one of them has the Rh Negative factor. For a fairly good discussion of this issue, see the following: http://thehealthcoach1.com/?p=5365 Excerpt: " Nearly 85% of all human beings have RH positive blood. Which merely indicates that their red blood cells contain a substance called the RHesus (rhesus) blood factor. Simply put, their positive blood contains a protein that can be linked to the Rhesus monkey. It is acknowledged that blood factors are transmitted with more exactitude than any other human or animal characteristic. It is not generally known from where the negative RH factor derived, although tantalizing evidence exists that it arrises from genetic experimentation a little over 5,000 years ago. (Note: The evidence now goes back a bit further, to around 8,000 years ago, and takes into consideration the sudden rise of the full-blown Sumerian civilization.)

History is nowhere near as well known as we think it is.

Myths & Legends

A vase-scene from about 410 BC. Nimrod/Herakles, wearing his fearsome lion skin headdress, spins Noah/Nereus around and looks him straight in the eye. Noah gets the message and grimaces, grasping his scepter, a symbol of his rule - soon to be displaced in the post-Flood world by Nimrod/Herakles, whose visage reveals a stern smirk.
The Book of Genesis describes human history. Ancient Greek religious art depicts human history. While their viewpoints are opposite, the recounted events and characters match each other in convincing detail. This brief article focuses on how Greek religious art portrayed Noah, and how it portrayed Nimrod in his successful rebellion against Noah’s authority.

Human Origins

Cro-Magnon man communicating with each other and producing cave drawings
How human language began has been a question pestering researchers for centuries. One of the biggest issues with this topic is that empirical evidence is still lacking despite our great advances in...

Ancient Technology

The School of Athens
Much of modern science was known in ancient times. Robots and computers were a reality long before the 1940´s. The early Bronze Age inhabitants of the Levant used computers in stone, the Greeks in the 2nd century BC invented an analogue computer known as the Antikythera mechanism. An ancient Hindu book gives detailed instructions for the construction of an aircraft –ages before the Wright brothers. Where did such knowledge come from?

Our Mission

At Ancient Origins, we believe that one of the most important fields of knowledge we can pursue as human beings is our beginnings. And while some people may seem content with the story as it stands, our view is that there exists countless mysteries, scientific anomalies and surprising artifacts that have yet to be discovered and explained.

The goal of Ancient Origins is to highlight recent archaeological discoveries, peer-reviewed academic research and evidence, as well as offering alternative viewpoints and explanations of science, archaeology, mythology, religion and history around the globe.

We’re the only Pop Archaeology site combining scientific research with out-of-the-box perspectives.

By bringing together top experts and authors, this archaeology website explores lost civilizations, examines sacred writings, tours ancient places, investigates ancient discoveries and questions mysterious happenings. Our open community is dedicated to digging into the origins of our species on planet earth, and question wherever the discoveries might take us. We seek to retell the story of our beginnings. 

Ancient Image Galleries

View from the Castle Gate (Burgtor). (Public Domain)
Door surrounded by roots of Tetrameles nudiflora in the Khmer temple of Ta Phrom, Angkor temple complex, located today in Cambodia. (CC BY-SA 3.0)
Cable car in the Xihai (West Sea) Grand Canyon (CC BY-SA 4.0)