Welcome to the Ancient-Origins.net Forums. In order to avoid spam messages, we require all users of the forum to register first.

If you are not registered please click on the Register link from the top menu. If you are registered LOGIN here.

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
African Albinos (when did they come into existence?)

hi,

I have never read a single posting or article about this. And I searched the entire internet too.

Is there any genetic evidence, when the disease of albinism first occured in modern humans?

Because it seems strange that science is saying light skin is only 6000-10000 years old but that would imply that albinism never existed before and spontaneously arose some few thousand years ago. That seems strange.

Any answers to my question?

Thanks

Pale "white" skin is either a

Pale "white" skin is either a sun allergy or aposematism.  The theory that paleness is an evolutionary or adaptive trait is provably false.

There is never a situation in which a person does not need sufficient eumelanin.

Melanin doesn’t protect you from sunlight, it synthesizes the sun’s energy.  The sun emits many different kinds of radiation.  The photon particles that we call “light” are just one type.  Much of this radiation can pass through the earth, so even if it is dark, the sun’s energy/radiation is still reaching you.  Everyone needs melanin.

Even in the darkest places in western Asia (“Europe”), you need melanin.  This map shows that the coldest/darkest countries of northwest Asia, where the palest-skinned people in the world live, has the highest rates of skin cancer:

You need melanin.

If light skin were an adaptation to cold dark climates, then explain snowburn:

http://www.thephora.net/forum/ar...

Everyone needs melanin, everywhere.

People who don’t have melanin are allergic to the sun.  Literally.  The mutations that cause skin cancer (melanoma) happen only hours after human cells are exposed to ultraviolet radiation (UV rays).  Ultraviolet radiation from sunlight and tanning beds can set off a chain reaction within human cells.  The entire process supposedly occurs within a millionth of a millionth of a second.

This is what you would call a sun allergy.

PALE SKIN:  AN ADAPTATION TO DARK, COLD CLIMATES?

You’ve heard this “theory” many times, but it’s simply not true.  If it were so, Far West Asian (Western “European”) explorers would not have needed winter clothes in South America while brown-skinned natives went naked:

Despite the extremely cold climate in which they lived, early Yahgan wore little to no clothing until after their extended contact with Europeans.

They were able to survive the harsh climate because:

They kept warm by huddling around small fires when they could, including in their boats to stay warm. The name of “Tierra del Fuego” (land of fire) was based on the many fires seen by passing European explorers.
They made use of rock formations to shelter from the elements.
They covered themselves in animal grease.
Over time, they had evolved significantly higher metabolisms than average humans, allowing them to generate more internal body heat.
Their natural resting position was a deep squatting position, which reduced their surface area and helped to conserve heat.” (wikipedia)

This is what cold-adapted humans look like:

Yaghan Family

And if paleness were an adaptation to cold and lack of sunlight, then why aren’t native Siberians and Alaskans pale?

(Photos from Real History Worldwide)

More credible theories of pale ("white") skin:

Pale skin is not an adaptation:  it's either a sun allergy or aposematism:

Many species have bright and conspicuous colors. When these colored individuals are dangerous or distasteful, the pattern is called warning coloration or, as biologists call it, aposematic coloration.

The strike created by the snapping motion of these animal’s claws is so powerful that the surrounding temperature can reach surface of the sun levels. They’ve also been known to break and shatter improperly reinforced aquariums just by striking the walls.

The blue-ringed octopus has a venomous bite that has killed many people.

Many of these brightly-colored species evolved from camouflaged (“cryptic”) ones.

“There is no such thing as a white race, much as this is talked of, but every white man is a faded or bleached one.” (Schopenhauer)

About 20,000 years ago, a person lived somewhere  Central Asia who bequeathed the genetic coding variant for lighter skin not only to all Europeans, but also many Indian people. (knowledge of self)  …all existing instances of this mutation originate from the same person.  (Source)

Police accused these parents of kidnapping a white “European” until genetic tests revealed she was their albino daughter.

This leads to the evolutionary problem:  the first mutant individual that was toxic but had a new, bright color that would call attention to itself.

Red is recognized worldwide as the warning color.  Stop!  Danger!

Some humans actually are this color:

Aposematic hair:

Aposematic skin:

Aposematic body markings (freckles), hair and skin:

Are "white" people (actually reddish in skin, hair and body markings) truly aposematic or 'warning-colored?'  Let us study the rules of aposematism in other species and discern whether they apply.  If the rules do apply, then we can ascribe freckles to aposematic marking:

Since no predator has yet learned, since the pattern is new, that individual would be more likely to be eaten than its camouflaged conspecifics, and so there would be a penalty attached to the new mutation.

Humans are not typically preyed upon by other species.  However, they do prey oneach other. There has been much cannibalism throughout history.  There has also been ritual use of human bodies.  For example, albino (brightly-colored, aposematic) Africans are hunted for their body parts which are used for magic.

Human interactions, of course, are more complex than those of other species.  One way that humans prey on and ‘consume’ each other is exploitation,namely,slavery.

Pale/aposematic humans were the original slave ‘race’, and remained as such for much of known history.  Pale skin and slave became synonymous.  The word Slav (a name of a pale/aposemetic language group) and slave come from the same word: the Greek ‘sklavinoi’.  ‘Serf’ comes the Latin ‘servus’ which also means slave, and indentured servitude could be and was extended indefinitely, so don’t let their word games fool you.

The ancient Arabs also identified pale skin with slavery:

“Red (al-hamra’) refers to non-Arabs due to their pale complexion which predominates among them… And the Arabs attribute pale skin to the slaves.”  -Ibn Manzur, Arabic lexicographer (knowledge of self)

"Only when those aposematic individuals were sufficiently common—and thus could be encountered often enough by predators who would remember the pattern and avoid the next aposematic individual—could they enjoy the protection afforded by their color."

In a word, critical mass.  When aposematic humans are in sufficient number, the threat they pose to other species, and their own, becomes apparent.  Encounters with pale populations, rather than individuals or weak, divided groups, has brought extinction to languages, races, nations, and entire species of animals or plants.  80% of Australia’s original land cover (area covered by trees) is gone.  Countless species of animals have been hunted to extinction.  Brutal genocide of humans across the world is the hallmark feature of pale (“white”) civilization.  On top of all that, they strive tirelessly to implement political and economic systems that inflict maximum damage to cultures, lives and environments.  Just one of their plague diseases was enough to wipe out 90% of South American populations.

This is the “poison” that their warning colors indicate:  they have genocidal tendencies and carry infectious diseases and genetics.  This danger only becomes apparent, or even begins to exist, in large groups.  You might not experience it in individual encounters.

—–

The problem of aposematic coloration, then, is that at very low frequency it would seem to be disadvantageous and could not invade a population. Only when it gets above a certain frequency would natural selection then act to fix the trait in the species.

Reddish skin and freckles are indeed disadvantageous mis-adaptations to a solar-based environment, an effective sun allergy:

—–

They have another feature that more than offsets this advantage: they forage more openly, enabling them to get resources that their cryptically colored (and presumably hidden) conspecifics don’t share.  This could increase the fitness of aposematic individuals above that of their cryptic kin…  if these foraging advantages (which of course make them more conspicuous to predators) are sufficiently large, they can outweigh the deleterious effects of being seen and attacked by a predator.

Aposematic people are extremophiles- they love defying limits.

Perhaps this was a coping mechanism developed during centuries of enslavement, biological disadvantages, and numerical inferiority.

‘The ends justify the means’ is the human equivalent of ‘foraging more openly’:  the.  This is why the Asian steppes (their original homeland), and west Asia (“Europe”- their original colony) have never had the social stability of pre-colonial Africa.  This is the essence of capitalism and liberalism:  do whatever gets the results, respect no barrier.

In the long run, though, this gives them a competitive advantage, because it doesn’t interact with other peoples and systems:  it destroys them:

“West Asian (“European”) superiority to Africa was only in terms of gunfire” (Africa’s Golden Age)

which is to say, the only advantage they had over Africans was their willingness to destroy life for material gain.

—–

Aposematic species should, because they are able to get more resources, be able to evolve larger body sizes than their relatives.  There are preliminary data supporting this in insects and amphibians.

There is plenty of data supporting this in humans.  Human height fluctuates according to circumstances.  The average height of a population can rise or drop dramatically in only a generation.  The determining factor is nutrition, and we just saw how pale people’s consumption patterns have given them an advantage.

In early 19th century England, the difference between average height of English upper class youth (students of Sandhurst Military Academy) and English lower class youth (Marine Society boys) reached 22 cm (8.7 in), the highest that has been observed. (History of Human Height)

The fact that aposematic (pale, brightly-colored) humans are willing to do anything for resources would certainly give them a size advantage over victim and/or regular populations in the long run.  Indeed, currently, west Asians are the tallest populations in the world, whereas previously “the original indigenous population of Plains Native Americans was also among the tallest populations of the world [before contact with West Asians]”. (History of Human Height)

—–

Aposematic species should “make use of a greater range of food plants than closely related, but cryptically colored species.”  This prediction has not been tested.

Pale populations, especially those in eastern Asia have almost no food restrictions.  They are the least likely to abstain from pork, whereas Africans have done this sincebefore Kemet.

They have a reputation for ingesting bodily wastes during sex acts, which has now spread to cryptic/camouflaged or original communities.  They are the most enthusiastic about genetically modifying food, and their governments resist natural food the most stringently.

Last but not least, Pale populations have a history of including human meat, blood, bones, and sexual fluids for food, medicine and condiments.  In the article” From Cannibal Cavemen to Cum Cookbooks- A History of Human Meat“, we see how human meat was a regular part of the caveman diet for thousands of years, even when resources were abundant.  In modern times, aposematic humans use breast milk as a sports drink, and have developed a semen-based cuisine.  Yogurt made from vaginal bacteria is apparently a thing now.

The rules of aposematism observed in other species are constant in the human species, although at higher levels of complexity proportionate to the higher levels of human intelligence.  It would seem therefore, that freckles, along with reddish skin and/or hair, are aposematic traits.

https://www.quora.com/Why-am-I-white-2/answer/Daniel-Taj-Akoben-Oliver

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaghan_people#Adaptations_to_climate

https://selfuni.wordpress.com/2013/12/27/light-skin-comes-from-asia/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2535288/Light-skin-colour...

https://selfuni.wordpress.com/2014/04/06/black-sheep-white-sheep/

https://qahiri.wordpress.com/2012/02/09/africas-golden-age/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height#History_of_human_height

https://selfuni.wordpress.com/2015/02/15/from-cannibal-cavemen-to-cum-co...

http://www.panafricanalliance.com/animal-instincts/

in between our lies and our illusions lie reality

wow this is pretty racist

wow this is pretty racist against white people, making us look like parasites. I wonder, are you a black person?
And if white skin spontaneously arose in India 20,000 yo, why did blacks all of a sudden produce albino offspring and why is there another study saying it was 10,000yo when light skin arose?

I don’t believe this aposematism theory. In my own opinion black people look more threatening/poisening then white people lol. But it might be true that we have SOME aposematic genes in us. But we arent exactly poison turtles lol. But as already stated in the article, it has benefits for humanity that is gathering resources, standing out, intelligence. So why is this so negative as some of your links claim?

And why on earth are we supposed to be such mean oppressors of black people? There was slavery okay, but they are the ones who have the higher criminal rates, health problems etc etc. So subconciously they are a bigger threat to us. I also think that the idea that blacks used to hold a significant amount of white slaves in history is bullox. We werent enslaved by blacks, this is just used by afrocentrists who seem to be often quite racist and like to rewrite history as much as white supremacists like to do it. Btw, white people also dont like the idea of race mixing whereas black people rather tend to support it. So maybe they see evolutionary benefits in us, idk lol.

So I basically think that it might be true that we have an albino (=sun allergy) descendence, I dont believe in the aposematism theory that much. But thank you really for your answer its quite interesting. Your links would be of more merit if they werent so racist.

And why would you disregard the Vitamin D theory? In my opinion this theory seems logical and isnt completely out of place. But imho, I think the most likely reason we are white is because of SEXUAL selection. Black BABIES are born white too, so what really stands out is not to have no color but to be colored.

edit: arent black Africans very aposematic? Look at their tribal dances, masks, war paintings, songs, hiphop clothing, etc? Maybe this is a rather (general) human trait?

That being said,

I still look forward to further answers,

maybe the european white skin gene is 20-000 yo

but the albino gene is even older, is that possible?

I just cant get my head around the idea that all of a sudden

black people start to produce numerous albinos. Albinism in

nature, in animals, simply exists – from what i know – and doesnt need to

develop over time.

WHITE SKIN V ALBINISM

I understand that these are 2 completely different conditions, not related to each other. Also there are other ‘white people’ within the Australian indigenous people who I believe I read are another form of pale skin, from a different genetic basis altogether.  I think the African guy’s rant is totally racist and quite stupid, but I do understand the need to get over the white man’s constant rants about how superior he is – makes me want to spit too and I am white; but I prefer to try and get to the bottom of the facts. Currently Europeans have got themsleves into the top slot, and fight off any attempts by browner skinned people to get up there too, not always successfully, hopefully we will all relax and let human talent be what it can be, the world needs everyone’s talent !     

Veronica

slightly off topic: there is

slightly off topic: there is a book called “Erectus walks among us”, which is about out of africa and multiregional theory...even though it is also a racist book, it has some anthropological value to it. You can read
it for free on the internet, here is the link: http://erectuswalksamongst.us/

re: goodman's original question about African albinos.

goodman asks, among other things, “Is there any genetic evidence, when the disease of albinism first occured in modern humans?” 

Here’s the thing. Albinism is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a disease. It is a congenital condition, and comes with a predisposition towards having specific health problems throughout life, but it is nothing more than a lack of melanin in one’s body. The only way it could be considered a disease, is to also consider it the same disease as having freckles and/or being white. White people have less melanin than brown people, while albinos have even less than that. Freckles mean one has melanin rich and poor patches. It’s doubtful that you’ll find any medical text or dicitionary listing these conditions as a disease, but one never knows.

When did this begin to happen in modern man? I have no idea. You can probably find that answer with a Google or Bing search, though  One more thing. About there being genetic evidence?  Finding testable samples that old might be a shot in the dark, and mostly blind luck.

Human Origins

Kalash girls with traditional clothing.
The Kalash (known also as the Kalasha) are an indigenous people living in what is today Pakistan. Although Pakistan is an Islamic Republic, with more than 95% of its population being adherents of Islam, the Kalash hold on to their own religious beliefs, along with their own identity, way of life, and language.

Ancient Technology

An Ulfberht sword displayed at the Germanisches Nationalmuseum, Nuremberg, Germany
Ulfberht was like a Medieval luxury brand for swords—but unlike your Gucci purse, the swords were of such high quality they were almost … mystical. Dozens of these swords—made with metal so strong and pure it’s baffling how any sword maker of that time could have accomplished it

Ancient Places

Kalash girls with traditional clothing.
The Kalash (known also as the Kalasha) are an indigenous people living in what is today Pakistan. Although Pakistan is an Islamic Republic, with more than 95% of its population being adherents of Islam, the Kalash hold on to their own religious beliefs, along with their own identity, way of life, and language.

Our Mission

At Ancient Origins, we believe that one of the most important fields of knowledge we can pursue as human beings is our beginnings. And while some people may seem content with the story as it stands, our view is that there exists countless mysteries, scientific anomalies and surprising artifacts that have yet to be discovered and explained.

The goal of Ancient Origins is to highlight recent archaeological discoveries, peer-reviewed academic research and evidence, as well as offering alternative viewpoints and explanations of science, archaeology, mythology, religion and history around the globe.

We’re the only Pop Archaeology site combining scientific research with out-of-the-box perspectives.

By bringing together top experts and authors, this archaeology website explores lost civilizations, examines sacred writings, tours ancient places, investigates ancient discoveries and questions mysterious happenings. Our open community is dedicated to digging into the origins of our species on planet earth, and question wherever the discoveries might take us. We seek to retell the story of our beginnings. 

Ancient Image Galleries

View from the Castle Gate (Burgtor). (Public Domain)
Door surrounded by roots of Tetrameles nudiflora in the Khmer temple of Ta Phrom, Angkor temple complex, located today in Cambodia. (CC BY-SA 3.0)
Cable car in the Xihai (West Sea) Grand Canyon (CC BY-SA 4.0)