All  

Ancient Origins Tour IRAQ

Ancient Origins Tour IRAQ Mobile

Welcome to the Ancient-Origins.net Forums. In order to avoid spam messages, we require all users of the forum to register first.

If you are not registered please click on the Register link from the top menu. If you are registered LOGIN here.

24 posts / 0 new
Last post
Which Culture Sparks Your Curiosity?

If you were an archaeologist, what is the culture or topic you would want to study? What is it about that culture/theme which inspires you to want to discover more?

Or, if you are an archaeologist, what is your area of specialty? What drew you to that culture/topic?

Pre-historic

I like anything about the cavemen.

Ancient science...

So, when are we going to get together on-line to talk about our particular interests?

The History of science takes in so many things… For example, I was very interested when I heard about the investigation of the Moche civilisation in Peru, finding out, for example, that they not only had a glass blowing technology, but also knew methods of plating gold… perhaps even a form of electroplating…  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moche_culture

I usually write under the nom de plume of:
Ian Gordon

humanity,subspices,and magerty of anamals spices camefrom stars

PREHUMAN,PIN SIZE TO 30,60,100FT GIANTS ; 1/3RD OF HEAVENLY HOST CAST DOWN BY REASON OF WAR IN HEAVEN,EARTH WAS AYOUNG PLANET;,REFUGES FROM DIFFERENT TYPE ;SMALLSHIPS BEHIND ASTROIDS;USED TO TRANSPORT LIFE TO EARLY EARTH.

Micronesia

I enjoy reading about Micronesian cultures. I lived there for 20 years, so I have vested interest.

Lechistan

Lechistan, other countries who have ancient history like Iran and others call Poland Lechistan.

I have always been fascinated

I have always been fascinated by Ancient Egypt.

We’ve learned much about the culture, but there’s so much more to know.

Robin Harper

Pre-Colombian Americas

ancient Mexican, Central American, South American cultures, pyramids, archeological sites, successive and surviving cultures

Kevin

My primary interest is the

My primary interest is the origins and practice of Goddess worship, much like Marija Gimbutas, among others. Beyond that, Celtic mezoamerican, and Egyptian cultures interest me.

Shari Tarbet

fields of interest

What interests me most are: the cultures of te Indian peoples of te Americas, the Celtic cultures and experimental archaeology.

Etruscans

The Etruscan civilization

Under Water Archaeology

Anything to do with sunken or inundated civilizations. Some great opportunities around the Cyclades, off the coast of India, and others. It’s an under-studied area. Let’s find out more!

Crete Crazy

Ancient Matriarchies

I am especially interested in Amazon and ancient matriarcal cultures such as those researched by Max Dashu and Marija Gimbutas.  Especially interested in verification of such societies.

Bronze age in Michigan

I’m interested in the Copper Culture in North America and the evidence that points to Minoans hauling Michigan copper down the Mississippi and to Europe to supply Bronze Age cultures in Europe.

Irish Culture

I have an interest in Irish culture, and read recently an interesting intriguing article about the silent apparition of The Blessed Virgin Mary, Saint Joseph, and Saint John the Evangelist.  known today as the lady of knock, which was witnessed on the evening of Thursday, 21 August 1879, in harsh times not that long after the famine by a group 15 or more religious devout catholic individuals, who were mesmerised by the strange apparition, that had appeared on the gable end wall of their church. I gathered from what I was reading that people in Ireland in those times were mostly poor downtrodden vulnerable individuals and in their times of need would have been highly susceptible to suggestion to seeing something miraculous in their times of hard ship, in whatever shape or form it took.

The apparition was first witnessed by Mary Byrne who convinced others to come and witness the apparition for themselves.  A farmer, about half a mile away from the scene, later described what he saw as a large globe of golden light above and around the gable end, circular in appearance.  According to modern day scientific analysis using Astronomer data of the sky at the place, date, and time of the miracle, in a computer model simulation taking into consideration the discrepancy's of the witness’s testimony from that era, it was determined that the evening sun was above the horizon for the duration of the event.  and from records it was also discovered that there was a school near the site with a wall angled toward the south gable of the church. The suggestion is that the sun served as the light source, which reflected off the school's windows which would explains what the farmer saw.

I read that the conclusion to the above experiment was that the the sun served as the light source, which reflected off the school's windows and produced a "natural version of a magic-lantern effect". It was explained that "odd shapes [from diffuse reflections] could produce the requisite pareidolia effects in susceptible individuals, especially those who were motivated to see something "miraculous" and were familiar with similar holy pictures."

Other witnesses on describing the apparition, including Mary Bryn the first to witness the statues, said she was astounded to discover they weren’t statues at all because they were moving.

One old woman said she went up “to kiss, as I thought the feet of the Blessed Virgin; but I felt nothing in the embrace but the wall, and I wondered why I could not feel with my hands the figures I had so plainly and so distinctly seen. ”

Patrick hill a fourteen-year-old boy described the figures as three dimensional 2-3 feet from the wall, has he moved closer to them they moved backward towards the wall, he described them in detail he could see the pupils and irises of our lady’s eyes, and the texture of her milky white skin, and the lines and letters of the book St john was holding, and he said he could also see the wings of the angel’s flutter

The above descriptions remind me of a similar experience I  had, It wasn’t a religious experience, but it was very similar in a lot of ways, I was on holiday in Cyprus and I became extremely ill, my body became bloated and I found it difficult to breath at night, I was having to sleep on the balcony of my hotel room because the air was cooler, I had difficulty sleeping so I got up and leaned over the rails of the balcony looking out into the moon lite night sky, I looked down and happened to notice In the carpark below a swimming pool  with people in it swimming with expressions of laughter and having fun frolicking about,  but there was no sound and no one was actually moving physically, the figurers would just shudder as if they were stuck on pause, I just remember the whole thing was very bright as if it were daylight, I couldn’t believe what I was seeing  I noticed I was able to scan the pool and look at the different people in the pool individually in more detail the best I could any way from my view point.  When I came back from my holidays I went straight into Hospital and into intensive care onto Emergency dialysis I had kidney failure, I ended up doing seven years on dialysis before getting a transplant.

If I could sum up the experiences above, I would say they were merely a trick of the mind brought on when your body and mind are at a low ebb, either through illness or depression or artificially drug induced etc. you become vulnerable, you become susceptible to suggestion, it has been proven how powerful suggestion really his under the right conditions by stage hypnotists, who seemingly can make a group of people see something that isn’t there, or make them perform tasks that aren’t reel. And taking into consideration the atmospheric conditions forecast on that night in question, would only serve to heighten the suggestion.

Why my mind made the association with a swimming pool of all things I do not know, but I did spend most of my time in and around the hotel complex including by the poolside reading a book, because I wasn’t feeling well enough to go on any of the trips.

PAUL KATZ

What if we could read Minoan?

The Minoan culture (3500 – 1100 BC) has been thoroughly examined but remains a historical enigma.  Their writing, Linear A, has not been translated and we don’t know what people called themselves.  Arthur Evans labeled them Minoans after king Minos in the Minotaur-bull fable. 

Crete was a major player in Bronze Age politics and a strong sea power.  They prospered from international trade and probably had a substantial navy to protect its interests and suppress pirates.  There is strong evidence Minoans were a major component of the Sea People who ravaged Egypt and the eastern Mediterranean at the end of the Bronze Age.

Athens was destroyed in the late BA, when survivors retreated to the Acropolis hilltop fortress, and might have been trapped there.  Victors often took high-ranking hostages to prevent rebellion and be educated.  The treaty between king Minos and Athens may have required sending seven youths and seven maidens to Crete every nine-years.   

Athenian scribes had nothing good to say about their conquerors and may have originated the ancient story of the man-eating Minotaur, full of blood, gore and vengeance.  The multilevel palace of Knossos covered a large area and would have been a ‘labyrinth’ compared to contemporary Egyptian or Mycenean-Greek architecture.

Douglas Mears

What if we could read Minoan?

The Minoan culture (3500 – 1100 BC) has been thoroughly examined but remains a historical enigma.  Their writing, Linear A, has not been translated and we don’t know what people called themselves.  Arthur Evans labeled them Minoans after king Minos in the Minotaur-bull fable. 

Crete was a major player in Bronze Age politics and a strong sea power.  They prospered from international trade and probably had a substantial navy to protect its interests and suppress pirates.  There is strong evidence Minoans were a major component of the Sea People who ravaged Egypt and the eastern Mediterranean at the end of the Bronze Age.

Athens was destroyed in the late BA, when survivors retreated to the Acropolis hilltop fortress, and might have been trapped there.  Victors often took high-ranking hostages to prevent rebellion and be educated.  The treaty between king Minos and Athens may have required sending seven youths and seven maidens to Crete every nine-years.   

Athenian scribes had nothing good to say about their conquerors and may have originated the ancient story of the man-eating Minotaur, full of blood, gore and vengeance.  The multilevel palace of Knossos covered a large area and would have been a ‘labyrinth’ compared to contemporary Egyptian or Mycenean-Greek architecture.

Douglas Mears

Basque

Judging by the pile of magazines and bookmarks, my interests are diverse. As I’m 50% Basque, it is a favorite.

The pre-Columbian

The pre-Columbian civilizations have always been of great interest to me and also everything related to the Prophet Zarathustra as well as the Sassanian Empire and the pre-Islamic era of Persia.

Daniel Lapierre

My interests of study in Archaeology....

I love everything about excavation procedures and techniques, and anything that is “detail-oriented”!    I love to study about my ancestry which is Middle Eastern/North African (Egypt, Syria, Lebanon, Iraq, Oman, Zanzibar)!   And even more…. on Native Americans of the Southwest and also, Aztecs, Mayas, and Incas and their intricate skills.  I never imagined that my 3rd cousin Maroon who told me that his grandfather IS the brother to my great great grandmother Nijme Moussa Abouzaid.  Turned out to reveal that both sides of my father’s family Abouzaid intermarried into the Tannous [became “Thomas”]. Both sides traced back to royalty that I didn’t expect!!!!!

Abouzaid traces back to al-Busaidi Dynasty of Oman, and then, to the House of al-Said of Zanzibar.  They are all Sultans!   And they have additional titles (Sir, Knight, or Grand Master) which refers to their involvement in the Knights Templar of the 4th Century in The Holy Land.  The Tannous family, according to results from 23andMe.com refer to common ancestor Nail of the Nine Hostages.  I traced Nail all the way back past Noah, Jesus, and further back Smenkhare (the brother of Tutankhamun) in line with all the Pharaohs of Egypt to the 4th Dynasty of Egypt !  Unbelievable!   Over 3,000 years of generations in the Tannous Family.  Research is my forte!

Which Culture Sparks my interest?

Hi All,

It would have too be for me at least, The Roman Empire the stage was set perfect Rome Ruled The Western World; Jesus arrived afterwards came the birth of Judeo-Christian in all fairness He is Identified as "The Nazarene".

This is why; I'm so fascinated by The Roman Empire an all its Days that it flourished.

Let's not forget the Institutions of Government within Rome.

First Patrician's Wealthy Powerful Senator's but one didn't become Senators overnight. Military Service first, afterwards, duty to defend Rome an when that was complete you then became a Senator.

Second The Plebians rivals to The Patrician's Wealthy Families; they were equally as powerful like the Patricians.

The Plebians fought for inclusion in to the Roman Senate; nevertheless, as wealthy these Plebian's were in Roman History they were considered beneath the Patrician's eventually Plebian's could become Senator's too.

So one make thing that's the last of the Wealthy privileged families of Rome right? Nope!

The Nosotros was extremely wealthy an far more powerful than Patrician's & Plebian's combine. They too went an became Senator's in Rome.

The Fourth Movers and shakers in Rome you might be familiar with them after all, they spared nothing when killing Caligula, The Centurion's they were the only one's The People of Rome gave the power to remove Emperor's from The Thrones of Rome.

The Centurion's stabbed Caligula 36 time's then murdered his wife and daughter Drusilla named after his beloved sister.

Rome's War's intriguing Carthage The Punic War's an you learn of General Hannibal who used Elephants in his War's he won two but loss the last battle an drank poison rather than be capture by The Roman General Spificus Africus He was from Spain.

I could go on an on oh wait let's not forget The Etruscans I was fascinated with them because of their Matriarch Society an those points in History was in fact rare.

Until next Discussion Everyone, Goodbye!

It’s really amazing.

It’s really amazing.

Regards
Chitra Mishra

Hii everyone

Hii everyone

If I were an archaeologist, I study Maya culture in depth.The Maya, with its intricate architecture, advanced knowledge of astronomy, sophisticated hieroglyphic writing system, and enigmatic collapse, presents a captivating puzzle waiting to be unraveled.

Maya culture's rich tapestry of art, science, and history inspires me to delve deeper into their world, uncovering the secrets of this enigmatic civilization and gaining a better understanding of humanity's shared past.

Thanks
Babita

Hii everyone

Hii everyone

If I were an archaeologist, I study Maya culture in depth.The Maya, with its intricate architecture, advanced knowledge of astronomy, sophisticated hieroglyphic writing system, and enigmatic collapse, presents a captivating puzzle waiting to be unraveled.

Maya culture's rich tapestry of art, science, and history inspires me to delve deeper into their world, uncovering the secrets of this enigmatic civilization and gaining a better understanding of humanity's shared past.

Thanks
Babita