All  

Ancient Origins Tour IRAQ

Ancient Origins Tour IRAQ Mobile

Welcome to the Ancient-Origins.net Forums. In order to avoid spam messages, we require all users of the forum to register first.

If you are not registered please click on the Register link from the top menu. If you are registered LOGIN here.

6 posts / 0 new
Last post
New Year’s Traditions

For the ancient Romans, January held a special significance. It gained its name from the two-faced god called Janus, a deity linked to change and beginnings. Janus symbolically looked back at the old and ahead to the new, and some may argue this idea is related to the custom of making New Year’s resolutions.

What are your favorite New Year’s traditions? Are there any New Year’s traditions from past cultures which you would like to see resurrected? Do you have any special New Year’s traditions you would like to share?

just a traditional comment.... >

asking if a person would like a tradition resurected is like the cart before the horse..  
  people did and still do things because of their belief that those things were/are the right way to behave out of respect for nature and their part in that nature and after time those actions became the traditions that we recognize today.

looking inward is to keep the constant static interference at bay as that same static will only increase toward the infinity of space-time.  i assume that to be a tradition above all else!

New Year's Traditions?

Hi All,

Thank you Alicia Happy New Year's Day; and Happy New Year Everybody!

This is how I and my household celebrates The New Year.

On New Year's Eve we go to Church to prepare for the New Year. We all gather once in the church and pray first then do a little Bible Study and then we do the Footbath.

Although, there was this one time okay two times; when my mom and I visited these other churches,I was probably 8 or 9 years of age, on this New Year's Eve.

The African Children's Choir from Uganda came to perform Special on New Year's Eve we bought the music, it was so beautiful to listen too. It's A Highway to Heaven & Soon and Very soon remain today my favorites.

The South African Children's Choir is excellent as well I go on ytube and listen too the song "This Little Light of Mine" that one is also my favorite you know once they came out and performed on American Idol accompanying Josh Groban this was back when Simon Cowell was still Judging.

Then during another New Year's Eve mom and I visited this Kaiser Convention Center (this was in Oakland, California), where an visiting Musicologist connected with my families Church performed Special for New Year's Eve his Amazing Grace made us cry.

Going back to the Footbaths on New Year's Eve tradition;
It is reminiscence of how Christ right before The Last Supper and wanting to show his love for his Disciples...

Oh by the way before I forget the Footbath task Jesus took on it goes back to Abraham pretty much places in The Middle East; treatment of The Stranger at Thy Gates which Abraham practiced this Norm regularly, as evident, in Genesis Chapter 18; an so The Guest tradition was to treat Them with compassion and kindness.

The Bible says Jesus and his Disciples waited for someone to come wash their feet and so when no one arrived to perform this task, Jesus then got up took a loin cloth, tied it around his waist; then proceeded to Wash his Disciples Feet, beginning with Judas first who would betray him that very night, and ending with Peter.

So for this reason my Church Family continues to uphold the tradition of The Footbath on New Year's Eve.

As for traditions on New Year's Day it is culturally historical; Food, the food my family eats is Black Eye Peas, Cabbage, Collard Greens, and Cornbread.

Often, the collard Greens is accompanied by meat however, we don't eat pork so one will not find Ham hocks in it, instead my mom does the collard greens with Veggie Bacon or sometimes Veggie Sausage.

All of this Food is too symbolize Good Luck & a better Economy for The New Year.

What I do personally in the New Year is countdown how long it'll be till one of my Earthly Heroes The Apostle of Non-violence is observed Dr. Martin Luther King. Jr B.Day.

Coincidentally Dr. King's second Son well his B.Day is this Month too, January 30th, 1961, sadly, He was 7 years of age when his father was assassinated.

For this New Year I'll keep schedule with the History Channel like always. They begin airing Documentaries all about The Holocaust in Europe.

In the past I kept wondering why the History Channel did this and found out belatedly that England rescued the Internment People from Auschwitz I, this very Month.

I just wanted to add to this discussion regarding New Year's Day, these traditional New Year's are exciting but, if I had to choose a New Year to celebrate and I say this because The World's Cultures all have their own New Year's Celebration.

The one I love best of all is Chinese New Year; which, doesn't take place till February, once in San Francisco it was Celebrated in March.

I had forgotten that Chinese New Year is a Lunar Year, so it's aligned to the New Moon's which hadn't shown up that one time till March.

In fact, I prefer Chinese New Year over The more Traditional, New Year we observe and celebrate. Accept for the New Year's Eve where our church Family does the Footbaths oh and the water is so warm wonderful clean towels to dry our feet.

I Studied this Holiday Chinese New Year in Kindergarten and ever since then I've been hooked on the New Year.

This is where I'll end this discussion on The New Year Traditions if I'm reminded of something unique I'll come back to the Forum and share the subject. Until, next time Everyone, Goodbye!

A Very Traditional/Non-Traditional New Year's Eve

Growing up in an Anglo-Indian family, living on a farm in South Dakota (no, I’m not kidding) we combined many different traditions during the holidays; to us, it was normal.  I thought everyone had Christmas cake...and Christmas crackers, and paper hats.  And beef samosas, with horseradish sauce.  Oh, well.

New Year’s Eve, when I was small, was a very fun evening (until we were sent to bed).  Mummie always made Indian food, usually one of her amazing beef biryanis (this is what happens when you grow up on a farm in South Dakota), with her famous aloo gobi, piping-hot puri, and so many other good, wonderful things.  Of course, there were samosas, bursting with flavour, and sometimes gulab jamun.  And then, traditionally, we had our second plum pudding of the winter (the first being at Christmas), and we would turn out all the lights, make a wish, and shout “Happy New Year!”

As you may imagine, for a small boy this was incredibly exciting.  The pudding was ignited with brandy, and it flickered with blue fire.  It was blue!  Oh, boy!  It was like magic...oh, boy!  Hot diggity dog!  It was so amazing to me, and it was incredible pudding.  Mummie is a very good cook!

My parents always drank a very good, dry champagne (usually Taittinger or Bollinger), and sometimes, I was allowed to have a very small sip of it.  Oh, it was so good; I couldn’t get enough, but I wasn’t allowed to have any more.
One year, I got hold of an extra saucer, and helped myself when no one was looking; sadly, I discovered why I wasn’t allowed to have more than a taste, as I became rather...well...animated...and then some.

On New Year’s Day, we always had roast duck, with mashed potatoes, turnips, carrots, and something green.  It wasn’t green beans.  I don’t remember what it was, but I liked it (well, I liked everything, except tapioca...and I devoured everything in sight, usually).

Thank you, for letting me share; these are very special memories for me.

Sanjay R Singhal, RA

Sanjay R Singhal, RA

New Year

I would love to see New Year being the Winter Solstice – the way it was for thousands of years, and which is really the natural New Year. I think it would be a positive signal of respect for, and willingness to live harmoniously with, the natural order

New Year’s Traditions

"Mummering" or MUMMERS !  The city of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania has held an annual Mummer's Parade every January 1st for the last 120 years. This was a custom brought to America from Ireland, England and even Newfoundland in the early-mid 19th century. The Mummer's Parade in Philadelphia is unique to the city not know to be conducted in any other city in America. In the parade, thousands of participants walk up Broad St. in Center City wearing hand-made costumes most of which individual "Club" members produce themselves, spending the entire year creating. There are many different "Divisions" of participants ranging from Comic Clubs which often portray timely and (usually political) satire. "Fancy" Clubs which feature elaborate costuming; "Wenches", and the enormously popular "String Bands" as well as the finale - the "Fancy Brigades" - person-carried mobile "floats" ! While longer that it's sister parade, the New Orleans Mardi Gras Parade, the Mummers march parade based on a hundreds-year-old tradition, brought to America and still carried on each year. THIS is my New Year's tradition.